Monday, July 29, 2013

“The Future of Food” more discussion of alternatives to the standard American diet




Going to Walmart is always a weird experience for me. There is something eerie about the florescent lights, the cheap white floor tiles... the racks filled with cheap garments that are made in unregulated factories in China and then shipped over here... what is the expense when we consider the pollution of our planet? ... these thoughts flicker across my mind...

and then there is the “grocery” section … the “food” …

I think about our ancestors thousands of years ago garnering fresh food which they simply plucked from the earth or a tree and devouring its fecund flesh full of enzymes and nutrients and the essence of life fresh right there on the spot... leaves and berries and fruit fragrant and warm

and then I contrast that to the boxes of “meals” I pluck from the freezer case. I flip the box over and try to decipher where this product is even manufactured... all I get is “Distributed by Blah Blah in So and So Pennsylvania...” and I shudder and set the thing back in the freezer case and ponder for a second that I have no idea from what country or even continent this processed, packaged pseudo food comes. I do not know what the regulations or conditions are in those far off factories. And then I look at the people shopping in the same isle. And they don't look healthy or vibrant or robust. And I do not want to describe how they do look, well because it is too much like some sickening science fiction and that just isn't my favorite genre.

Conversely, I do love to fantasize about a world where everyone is living their optimal potential. Where people are happy and healthy and perfectly nourished. And they are all given love and encouragement freely. And they are all here on this planet living a most fulfilling life.... yeah, that makes me feel better. I like to daydream. It's those who have dared to daydream that have been able to make this world better.

Okay, so back to our documentary “the Future of Food” … I have linked here the first 10 minutes of the documentary because that is as much of it that you can watch for free. I personally have not even seen the whole film. I watched quite a bit of it back in 2007... like and hour and a half... I was at a sort of “earth fair” that I had helped organize. And, I was excited for the showing of this film. But three quarters of the way through I got an invite from friends to go hang out and have fun on my Friday. So I left. I honestly think the 10 minutes worth of the documentary I posted here is informative enough and a good start at least. It does not show monsanto fucking over farmers. And I guess that would be worth discussing in the future, but here is some good info with which to get started. So here is the link.


Your body is constantly regenerating itself and producing new cells. The food you are ingesting is the fuel and the material that is utilized in this process. What you are eating greatly impacts your life. It is such a symbiotic process that is constantly taking place. It is good to educate yourself about your food, where it is coming from and what it is doing for you. More to come on these topics, of course.

Wishing you everything that is beautiful in this world.



No comments: